Technology at Criterion
Technology at Criterion
Read about sleeping bag technology and find out about the all the features of Criterion Down Sleeping Bags!
- Summarised Technical Features - At a glance find out about the different features in our sleeping bags and the differences between bags
- Sleeping Bag sizes and dimensions - find out about the different sizes and shapes avaliable in our sleeping bags
- Polish Goose Down Insulation - We believe that Polish down is the best available, find out why this is the case.
- Pertex Performance Fabrics - We only use Pertex fabrics in our down sleeping bags and clothing. Originally we were supporting a local fabric company, now a worldwide industry giant.
- Sleeping Bag Construction - Baffle Design - Sleeping bags are complex, but baffles don't have to be baffling, find out why!
- Sleeping Bag Construction - Design Features - Find out about the design features which make up a Criterion Sleeping Bag.
- Stuff Sack and Storage Bag - Find out how Criterion make different stuff sacks and mesh storage bags for keeping you bag in when outdoors
- The Criterion Way - Our ethos
This page is the hub of our technology section. With links to the different pages on the website which contain information about the different factors which affect the design, features and usage of Criterion Down Sleeping Bags and clothing.
Summarised Technical Features
Our section of summarised technical features is an at a glance overview of all of the product information in our ranging from colours, baffles and sizes.
Construction and Design
Manufacturing down clothing and sleeping bags is a complicated process. Different methods of design and construction are dependent upon a number of factors such as weight, pack-size, proposed outdoor activity and cost. As such our designs can be broken into three areas;
Baffles are an important part of down clothing and down sleeping bag design. These chambers house the down which helps to insulate the body. Different types of baffle design work best for different products and activities. Find out more select the button below.
2.Zip and Neck Collars
Heat is lost through the zip and neck area of a sleeping bag. Zip baffles and neck collars help to stop this. However different activities required differing designs. To find out more select the button below.
3.Bag Shapes & Dimensions
The activity and user a sleeping bag is designed for impacts upon the shape and dimensions. Too much dead space inside the bag reduces the effectiveness of the insulation. To find out more information select the button below.
Sleeping Bag Temperature Ratings
For each of our sleeping bags we provide a suggested comfort temperature for the average person, this is a guide based on scientific testing and user experiences. This section of our site details how we set out temperature guides and the test standards we use.
The Science of Down
Criterion only uses Polish goose down in our sleeping bags and garments, this is because we believe it is the best available. Down is an excellent insulator and this section of our website, accessed by the button below, explains why this is the case. As well as explaining some of the terminology used to differentiate down and its quality. Follow this link for information about our ethical down policy.
Pertex! Our Fabric of Choice
We only use Pertex fabrics in our products. Originally we were supporting a small local Manchester based company who produced the ideal fabrics for outdoor clothing and equipment. Now we are supporting a worldwide industry giant.
Sleeping Bag Features
We strive to make out sleeping bags as light as possible, but this doesn't mean skimp on user features. All of our down bags have features which aid your comfort but nothing which is not needed.